What began as a sign of affection some 65 years ago, continues today with the commitment to service made by the professional staff at Thompson-Larson Funeral Home.
In 1934, Theodore Thompson built the Thompson-Larson Funeral Home as a wedding gift for his bride, Julia Larson. Ms. Larson was the first female licensed funeral director in the state of North Dakota.
In 1945, Edward and Catherine Fisher purchased the business from the Thompsons. Mr. Fisher was a funeral director with roots in the Wahpeton, North Dakota, area. Mrs. Fisher grew up in the railroad town of Breckenridge, Minnesota. Prior to coming to Minot, Mr. Fisher was a funeral director in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The Fisher family lived above the funeral home and the family was actively involved in all aspects of the business. Ed and Catherine's elder son, Tom, took a special interest and after completing his education, returned to help his parents operate the business. In 1972, Engen Eckmann joined the staff as a licensed funeral director.
As the business grew, so did the demands placed upon the owners and operators of Thompson-Larson Funeral Home. In 1983, Wes Burkart joined the firm as a licensed funeral director. In 1984, Bruce Kramer came aboard as business manager and to assist on funerals. As a group, Tom Fisher, Engen Eckmann, Wes Burkart and Bruce Kramer worked as managing partners in operating the funeral home. This partnership continues today, with Engen Eckmann, Wes Burkart, Bruce Kramer and Grace Fisher as active partners in the business.
In 1994, Casey Sidener joined the firm as a licensed funeral director,and in 2004, Kelly Sorensen and Ben Slind.
Over the years Thompson-Larson has always striven to provide dignified and compassionate service to the many families who call upon us. Our commitment is also reflected in our support of various organizations and activities throughout the region, including church and civic groups, schools and charitable organizations.